Thursday, February 14, 2013

Is there a Selfish Love?

A little while ago, tears streamed down my cheeks.
I did not know why exactly where it came from, and I started praying to God to frisk the corners of my heart . In just a few minutes, God gave me a different prayer..

Now, why did I become upset? Because of  trivial stuff.
I was waiting for February 14 so much! In fact, I was praying for it for weeks now. Today, I will be doing something I've never done before. I would buy a ring for myself. I am not a fan of rings, but I think it is fit to be a symbol of the renewal of my commitment to purity today!

HOWEVER, some stuff prove to be uncontrollable.
Stuff here around the house weren't as perfect as I imagined it would be. My mom chose this day to scold me for some things I was not in control of. My much anticipated piano lesson was cancelled.. There were other stuff, too little to be remembered, that made me realize how imperfect today was.

And then I went online on Facebook. I saw posts about guys being romantic to their girls. I wasn't hoping for some sweet gesture from a guy - but I honestly hoped to feel like how those girls showered with presents felt. How I would get it? I thought that if today went perfect and filled with just happiness, I would feel royal.

But it didn't. So that's why I cried.
Contemplating on it and being soaked in prayer, I realized how petty the reason was!
It was all rooted in selfishness. I wanted to feel special today, somehow. I wanted my February 14 to go well. I want this day to kinda be the best for me. When it wasn't 100% perfect, I cried.

But does it really have to be perfect?

I realize that today is still a good day to love and to be loved, even though things did not go as planned!
God reminded me that today is all about love. Love is all about God.
So, today is all about God.
Love is not about me. It is not about us.

We tend to be too selfish on Valentine's Day, don't you think? We become upset when we are deceived (by our mortal enemy) that we're alone and invisible. We try to comfort ourselves by thinking that we have our family and friends and we don't need a Valentine's Date. It's as if it's the world's responsibility to make us feel loved and special.

But it's not the way it should be! Selfishness could never be equated with love. There's no such thing as selfish love. If it's selfish, it's not love.

Thinking about all these, I remember. What is the highlight of Hearts' Day?
No other than the celebration of and dwelling in the love of the only One who makes my heart exceedingly joyful! My King. ;)

And as I think of that being the highlight.. Hey, the day's not ruined. Because nothing will ruin a powerful encounter with God. All you gotta have is a heart open to God. ;)

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,  neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
- Romans 8:38-39

Off to the jewelry shop I go! :)

How selfish were you in the past Feb14's? How selfless do you want to spend it today?
Spread the love in the most amazing ways! ;)

No comments: